Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Heart of Darkness Thesis

For my Heart of Darkness essay, my thesis is going to be the question, What is Joseph Conrad’s purpose when contrasting the identities of the Mistress and the Intended, which are shaped by white male assumptions due to the women’s race and social class?  I will be focusing on quote that show how the white males make assumptions about both women. One of the quotes I will be using about the Mistress is, “...a wild and gorgeous apparition of a woman. She walked with measured steps, draped in striped and fringed cloths, treading the earth proudly, with a slight jingle and flash of barbarous ornaments...innumerable necklaces of glass beads on her neck; bizarre things, charms, gifts of witch-men...” (Conrad 141-142).  Another quote I will use is, “Her face had a tragic and fierce aspect of wild sorrow and of dumb pain mingled with the fear of some struggling, half-shaped resolve.” (Conrad 142) The quotes i will be using about the Intended is, “But I couldn’t. I could not tell her. It would have been too dark--to dark altogether…” (Conrad 164) Another i have is, “She came forward, with a pale head, floating towards me in the dusk. This fair hair, this pale visage, this pure brow, seemed surrounded by an ashy halo from which the dark eyes looked out at me.” (Conrad 160) In order to answer my question about Conrad’s purpose I will give examples in the text to show the contrast between the two women. I will also show that the descriptions of the women’s looks, thoughts, and actions are characterized based on white male assumptions which concerns itself with social class and race.

1 comment:

  1. Wow i never even thought of this idea! I like your thesis it gives a question that you can show throughout the body paragraphs and then answer completely in the conclusion. Just make sure in your conclusion you answer your thesis question. I like your thoughts on how your going to show and compare the two women. Analyze the crap out of each and every word Conrad uses in your quotes. Include what it means the way he says the opinion and why he does. You have a couple longer quotes so maybe you use those to your advantage and describe them a lot more and longer don't just describe what the quote means as a whole, but pick it apart bit by bit. I like your thoughts so far that's about all I have too say! Goodjob! (:

    ReplyDelete