Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Research Paper RD Proposal

My research project will be on alzheimers disease, and how it impacts the interpersonal relationships within a family, emotionally, financially, and physically. I chose this topic because I have seen first hand the negative and positive things that take place when having someone in your family with this disease. This is a disease that has impacted my family in a number of ways. I can remember my grandma being completely different than she is now. I used to enjoy spending time with her, but now I don’t know if she even recognizes that I am her grand daughter anymore. The disease of alzheimers is deteriorating my grandma’s capacity for remembering people, her past, and how to do the most basic tasks each day.  Unfortunately I can’t interview my grandma due to the disease, but I can interview an assisted living nurse that takes care of her during the day. My grandparents live with my aunt who provides a large amount of care for my grandma at night and on weekends, I am planning on interviewing her as well. I am hoping to also interview my grandma’s doctor, who would give me a medical perspective on the disease with less of an emotional attachment. I will be writing about how this disease can bring a family together but can also create conflicts between family members. Also I am going to research into financial issues when a family is faced with the disease of alzheimers. I am going to approach this paper from a medical perspective as well as tie in my own personal experiences with my family. I will also explore the idea that other families are experiencing similar issues when a family member has alzheimers disease.

2 comments:

  1. I would especially love to hear interview feedback from that aunt of yours, with the nurse as a secondary. I especially like your idea of the idea of financial and personal conflict which results. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, I think this is a great topic for you go with. I have also experience Alzheimer's first hand and know how it can affect the family. But there are many people that have not, so I think this could be a great informative paper for those people. Along with interviewing your aunt and the care assistants, I also think it would be interesting if you talked about you have personally been effected. This would take your paper in more of a narrative route. Another thing you could do is talk about the basics of Alzheimer’s, and what it is; Give some background information before going into the depth of your paper. You could hit on what happens in the brain and all of the changes that take place, or even if it can be passed down from generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete