Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Partner Response to "The Wife-Beater"

"The undershirts also attained popularity at wet T-shirt contests, in which the wet, ribbed tees accentuated contestants breasts".(529)

After reading this quote I think Gayle Smith is implying that women are supporting the stereotype that some people have that woman want to be seen as sexual objects.  The women who choose to participate in wet t-shirt contests are supporting the use of the name wife-beater in reference to the undershirts.  The acceptance of the phrase wife-beater is one of the main points in the writer's argument and she emphasises this point by making a connection between the t-shirt and an activity that is degrading to women.  These women and other society members do not stop to consider the negative stereotype of males that these shirts represent.  The women that participate in wet T-shirt contests, and men who encourage these events further supports the idea that women want to be sexual objects.  These types of contest send the message that women want to have their bodies on display while wearing only a ribbed wife-beater t-shirt and having water thrown on their breasts.   

I agree with Haley’s idea on this quote being ironic, and she makes very good points. She commented on the fact that some women do like the style of this undershirt.  These shirts are becoming more widely used as a fashion accessory.  Haley’s thoughts helped me make an ironic connection of my own.  I see the irony a little bit differently.  I think a lot of women wear the undershirts as a way to cover more of themselves because of a plunging neckline which shows too much cleavage.  These types of shirts seem to fit comfortably under clothing and are often more about modesty than how revealing they can look when women are braless and soaked through with water.  

1 comment:

  1. I like how you analyzed this quote Olive. I thought that in the essay we read "The Wife-Beater" the author does not need to use this as a point she makes though. The point she makes about women wearing these shirts in wet t-shirt contest doesn't mean that they support the name of them. The connection that she tries to make her does not help her to push her point and doesn't explain why this has anything to do with the name of the shirts.

    I would like to say I hate wet t-shirt contests. I think they are pointless, disgusting, and very degrading. When I think of this I want to gage. For some odd reason this topic of wet t-shirt contests makes me only think of blonde women. This is something that our society has depicted of women with blonde hair, that most of them do want to be sexual objects in our society. This is a flaw in our society that should be fixed.

    ReplyDelete